Jun 14, 2013

POETRY FRIDAY: Math Poems

A few weeks ago, a friend showed me the book MATHEMATICKLES, written by Betsy Franco and illustrated by Steven Salerno. 
 
MATHEMATICKLES is a book of math poems--words arranged in mathematical equations to create poetry. This is a concept I had never heard of before, and I absolutely love it, so I wanted to share it today. I would have had SO much fun with this when I was teaching!

A big THANK YOU to my young friends Oliver and Sophie, who wrote several of their own math poems for me to share today. Take a look at Oliver and Sophie's wonderful poetry below, and then try writing your own poetic equations--I will be trying this fun new format soon! 

sand + pail + shovel = sandcastle

lilypad = 1/2 lily + 1/2 pad

chrysalis x time = butterfly

                                  maple keys                                           sugar
                                  x        wind                                        +    ants
                                  helicopters                                        disaster

7 comments:

  1. I'll bet that was a fun class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Becky,
    I loved the sugar plus ants equals disaster. Thanks for sharing the math poems.
    Celebrate you and your love of people.
    Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun poetry and fun book! I will look for MATHEMATICKLES at my library! Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this kind of math I would've enjoyed as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever! I got a kick out of these. Great job, Oliver and Sophie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

Due to new COPPA laws, children under the age of 13 are not allowed to leave comments. If you are under 13, please have a parent leave your comment. Thank you! = )